Sea moss is an ultimate remedy for many health problems including iodine deficiency and gut complaints. This nutritional weed has 90% of the minerals that a human body needs such as magnesium, zinc, phosphorous and potassium. Sea moss is widely used by fitness freaks for boosting immunity, brain and heart health.
Seaweed comes from nature; it’s neither manmade nor genetically-modified (GMO) like many veggies and fruits that we normally use. Sea moss is from earth and eating from earth can rejuvenate the human system.
Now let’s discuss how to use sea moss.
You cannot and should not eat sea moss raw. Instead, make healthy and yummy smoothies!
And for that, we need to go to your healing centre, the kitchen… where food is thy medicine and medicine is thy food!
First of all, we need to wash the sea moss to eliminate the sea taste and extra salt.
- Dip the sea moss into fresh water along with some bay leaves or lime to eliminate the sea taste.
- Rest it for couple of hours, preferably a complete day.
- The moss will swell and become spongy and squishy.
- Now remove the lime pieces or bay leaves and rinse it thoroughly twice or thrice under fresh water to remove all the salt and sand.
- In the end, put it into the blender, add some water and blend it well to form a thick gel-like paste.
This gel is good to go into many sea moss recipes. Pour it in a glass jar and store it in the fridge. You can use it for smoothies whenever you need.
A few smoothie recipes are as under:
Sea Moss, Bananas & Dates Smoothie
Banana and date sea moss smoothie is nutrient-rich and extremely tasty. Takes only 5 minutes to prepare.
- Take a blender, pour in 1 glass of almond milk with 1 heaped spoon of sea moss gel.
- Toss 2-3 bananas and a splash of honey (you can also add pinches of cinnamon and clove powder if you like their flavor) and blend it well.
- Pour it into the serving glasses and garnish it with brown flaxseeds and black sea seeds.
Jamaican Moss Punch
- Take 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds (soaked overnight) and put them into the blender. Add 1 tablespoon of sea moss gel and 1 glass of evaporated milk into it.
- Toss some roasted peanuts and oats into it.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon powder, freshly-grated nutmeg, ½ teaspoon vanilla essence and dragon stout (optional) for sweetening.
- Blend it well till smooth.
- Lastly add some coconut cream and very little amount of condensed milk now give it a final blend.
Jamaican Moss Punch is ready to serve.