Ho See Fatt Choy (Braised Oysters and Sea Moss)
Ho See Fatt Choy is a traditional Chinese dish that combines braised oysters and sea moss. It is a popular dish served during Chinese New Year celebrations. The dish is said to bring luck and prosperity to those who consume it. The combination of oysters and sea moss makes it a unique and flavorful dish that will surely be a hit with your family and friends.
- 1/2 pound of fresh oysters
- 1/4 cup of sea moss
- 2 tablespoons of ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
Instructions for Preparation
- Start by preparing the oysters. Scrub them thoroughly with a brush and remove the beards. Rinse the oysters under cold water and set them aside.
- Soak the sea moss in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Rinse and set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the oysters to the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, and water to the pan and boil.
- Add the sea moss, sugar, salt, and white pepper to the pan and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Benefits of Sea Moss and its Ingredients
Sea moss is a nutrient-rich superfood used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine. It is high in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium, as well as vitamins A, B6, and K. It contains essential fatty acids and protein. The other ingredients in this dish, such as ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and Shaoxing wine, all have their health benefits and contribute to the dish's overall flavour.
This traditional Chinese dish is a great way to bring luck and prosperity to your family and friends. The combination of oysters and sea moss makes this dish an unforgettable experience. If you're looking for more traditional Chinese recipes, check out Herbal Vinyard for more delicious dishes.
- Quiñones, S. (2021). Sea Moss for Hair: Discover How You Can Solve Hair Loss, Hair Damage, Hair Breakage, Frizz, Split-ends, Scalp Irritation, and Much More Using Dr. Sebi’s Guide on how to Use Sea Moss on Hair. Stephanie Quiñones.
- Brown, E. M., Allsopp, P. J., Magee, P. J., Gill, C. I., Nitecki, S., Strain, C. R., & McSorley, E. M. (2014). Seaweed and human health. Nutrition reviews, 72(3), 205-216.
Shop Our Sea Moss Products: