Okonomiyaki With Seaweed Touch
Okonomiyaki is a savoury Japanese pancake cooked on a grill and filled with various ingredients. It is often served as a breakfast or dinner dish and is popular in Japanese restaurants. It is also a great party food, as it is easy to make and can be customized to fit individual tastes. This recipe provides a delicious way to enjoy okonomiyaki at home.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 cup okonomiyaki sauce
- 1 sheet of seaweed
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, water, eggs, vegetable oil, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Add the cabbage, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, bacon, cheese, and okonomiyaki sauce to the batter and mix until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat and grease with a thin layer of oil.
- Place a seaweed sheet on the griddle and pour the pancake batter.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread the batter evenly over the seaweed.
- Cook the okonomiyaki for 5 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Carefully flip the okonomiyaki and cook for 5 minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Transfer the okonomiyaki to a plate and top with additional okonomiyaki sauce and grated cheese, if desired.
Uses/Benefits of Seaweed
Seaweed is a nutrient-rich food popular in many Asian cuisines, including Japanese. It is an excellent source of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants, making it a healthy addition to any diet. Seaweed is an excellent source of iodine, which helps regulate metabolism and is essential for proper thyroid function. It is also a good source of vitamins A, B, and E and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and iron. Additionally, seaweed is high in fibre, which helps to promote digestion and can aid in weight loss.
This okonomiyaki recipe is a great way to enjoy a nutritious and delicious Japanese dish. Try adding other ingredients, such as shredded carrots, zucchini, or edamame, for even more nutrition. Pair your okonomiyaki with steamed rice and miso soup for a complete meal. Visit Herbal Vineyard today to explore our selection of quality herbs and supplements to boost your health and nutrition.
- Fleurence, J. (1999). Seaweed proteins: biochemical, nutritional aspects and potential uses. Trends in food science & technology, 10(1), 25-28.
- Mabeau, S., & Fleurence, J. (1993). Seaweed in food products: biochemical and nutritional aspects. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 4(4), 103-107.
Shop Our Sea Moss Products: