Most of us already know what sea moss is and how fantastic a superfood is, but is it safe for children as well? Can they consume it for better overall health? If these are the questions that are crossing your mind, you have come to the right place.
We have answers for you.
We have done extensive research on the matter. Let us guide you by sharing information regarding the use of sea moss for children. Then, stick to us and go through the rest of the article to know everything that brought you here in the first place.
Is seaweedseaweed safe for children?
Let's start from the top. Sea moss is a natural substance that's found in oceans. It's safe and healthy for children, just like it is for grownups. With that said, the children need supervision while they consume it as it must be consumed in moderation.
As our bodies require so many minerals and vitamins, and luckily, sea moss offers most of them as it’s believed that they contain 92 out of 102 of the essential nutrients that your body requires. That is the reason why sea moss is looked at as a supplement rather than a food.
Likewise, children need all these good minerals and vitamins in smaller quantities, so they need to consume them in moderation and under supervision.
Use in moderation
Sea moss has iodine and a lot of it. And the excess of it in the human system is not ideal, so we have to remember that even if it's suitable for the kids, they still can't have too much.
You can find out more about the ideal iodine dose here.
While one full tsp is usually considered sufficient for adults, smaller quantities should be given to the children, especially young ones. For example, half (or ¾ tablespoon) tsp, 2-4 times a week, should be enough.
Additional benefits for children
These are some additional benefits of giving sea moss to kids:
- Sea moss has properties that make the consumer feels fuller. So when kids have it, they will handle all fuelled up and can focus on learning other things.
- They are full of protein, potassium and magnesium, and dozens of other essential nutrients required for ideal growth and development.
- Where the excess of iodine can have its adverse effects, having a sufficient amount of it can help your kid function better and stay more focused in school.
- Sea moss has calcium, and everybody needs calcium, especially children. Enough calcium means healthier teeth and stronger bones.
- It also has iron that provides more energy to the kids as they love staying busy and playing all day.
- Sea moss is an excellent source of a lot of minerals and vitamins. It's also a non-dairy source of plenty of nutrients.
So yes, introduce your kids to sea moss, and if they complain that they don't like it, no worries. Add some of it to their soups, stews, or sauces. You can also add some of it to their favorite foods and lookup for other exciting recipes on the internet. Herbal Vineyard has something special for your littluns; click here to see the range of products.
Munoz, I, Diaz, N. Minerals in edible seaweed: health benefits and food safety issues. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2020 Nov 18;1-16. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33203217/
Cherry, P, Hara, C, Magee, P, Sorley, E, and Allsopp, P. Risks and benefits of consuming edible seaweeds. Nutr Rev. 2019 May; 77(5): 307–329. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6551690/